2002-2006 Kannur Beach House. All rights reserved.
Seafacing rooms with no compromise. Arrange Ayurveda, Theyyam, Kalarippyattu trips, boating and mussel plucking for the adventurist.
Fort St. Angelos
Fort St. Angelos is in the west of Kannur town. It was built in 1505 by the first Portuguese Viceroy, Don Francisco De Almeida, with the permission of the Kolathiris, on a promontory jutting into the Lakshadweep sea. The Dutch captured the fort in 1663 and sold it to the Ali Raja of Kannur in 1772 and in 1790 it came into the possession of the British. The British rebuilt it and made it their most important station in Malabar. This fort is in a fairly good state of preservation, though parts of it have collapsed. A few obsolete guns areseeh at the place. The fort is a protected monument under the Archaeological Survey of India.
Parassinikadavu on the banks of the river Valapattanam is 18 km away from Kannur. It is here the well known Sri Muthappan Temple and the Snake Park are located.
Snake Park at Parassinikkadavu
The Snake Park at Parassinikkadavu is situated 18 kms. Away from Kannur town. It Is one of the known snake parks in the country . The park is dedicated to the preservation and conservation of snakes, most of which are becoming extinct gradually. There is a large collection of poisonous and non-poisonous snakes. There are three snake pits, fifteen glass cases for snakes and two large glass houses for King Cobras in the park. Snake demonstrations conducted every hour draw large crowds of visitors. (Open 0900 - 1730 hrs everyday)
Thaliparambu, about 20 km north-east of Kannur, is famous for its Thiruchambaram Vishnu Temple dedicated to Lord Maha Vishnu. This temple, which dates back to the 10th century, is an example of medieval temple architecture.
Ezhimala, the capital of the ancient Mooshika kings, is considered to be an ancient historical site. It is a onspicuous, isolated cluster of hills, forming a promontory, 38 kms. north of Kannur.
A flourishing sea port and centre of trade in ancient Kerala, it was one of the major battle fields of the Chola-Chera war of the II th century .I It is believed that Lord Budha had visited Ezhimala. An old mosque, believed to contain the mortal remains of Shaikh Abdul Latif, a Muslim retormlst, is also located here. The hill is noted for rare medicinal herbs. Bordered by sea on three sides, Ezhimala is set to occupy a prominent place in the naval history of the country, consequent to the proposal for ommissioning the N.aval Academy here.
( 29 K.M from Kannur) : This renowned centre for arts and culture at New Mahe conduct courses in painting, sclpture,music, dance and pottery.
(37K.M. east of kannur ) : An ideal retreat for rourists ,the damsite is famous for its scenic beauty. The D.T.P.C provides pleasure boating faciliaties at the reservoir. Accommodation is available at the Project Inspection Bungalow and its dormitories.
( 65 km from Kannur Town ): This enchanting hill station ,situated 4,500 ft. above sea level near the Kerala - Karnataka border ,is rich in flora and fauna. It is a 6 km trek to the top of the hills.
(20.K.M.from Kannur, near Thalasseri twon on the national high way at Illikunnu): Dr. Herman Gundert, the revered German Missionary, scholar, lexicographer lived in this bungalow for 20 years from 1839. It was here that one of the first malayalam dictionaries and the first malayalam newspaper Rajyasamacharam took shape.
The British arrived in Thalassery in 1683 and errected a goods shed there. They shifted their ommercial capital to Thalassery from Kozhikkode, following obstruction from the Dutch. In 1700, the British built the Thalassery Fort on a small hill called Tiruvellapadkunnu and in 1708, it was strengthened by increasing its height and with bastions. The fort is square structure built of laterite and is distinguished by its massiv ventilated walls and strong flanking bastions. It was here that Raider' captain was imprisoned.The famous St. John's Anglican church is behind this fort.
Moppila Bay is a natural fishing harbour, lying near Fort St. Angelos. A sea wall projecting from the fort separates the rough sea and inland water. The bay was famous during the Kolathiris' regime as a commercial harbour that linked Kolathunadu with Lakshadweep and foreign countriea, in imports. Today , Mopilla bay has turned into a modernised fishing harbour, developed under the Indo-Norwegian Pact.
Arakkal Kettu (3 km from Kannur): This was the residence of the former Arakkal Ali Rajas, the only Muslim Royal Family of Kerala.
Kizhunna Ezhara Beach (11 km from Kannur): This beautiful stretch of sand is one of the most secluded beaches in Kerala.
Valapattanam (7 km from Kannur) : The small town on the Valapattanam river is well known for its wood based industries and timber trade. The port of Azhikkal and Azhikkal Beach are located nearby. Western India Plywoods Limited, the largest wood based industry in the country and also one of the largest of its kind in South East Asia, is a major industrial concern here.
Parassinikadavu (16 km from Kannur town)
Sri Muthappan Temple stands on the banks of the Valapattanam river. This pilgrim centre is famous for the Muthappan Theyyam performed every morning and evening. The DTPC provides pleasure boating on the river near the temple. Accommodation is available nearby.
Dharmadam Island (100 metres away from the mainland at Dharmadam) :
The small 5 acre island covered with coconut palms and dense bushes is a beautiful sight from the beach. Permission is required to enter this island.
The Kannur Beach House: Offers an inspiring seafront experience.